We all know that gas and electricity are expensive and that each year they seem to increase more. If you happen to live in a city like London, where rents are especially high, you are going to want to keep those energy bills as low as possible. Switching utility suppliers is one of the best ways to keep one step ahead of the market and to avoid hefty bills, even when the weather starts to get extra chilly.
According to the gas and electricity regulator Ofgem, 2.03 million UK households switched energy supplier in just the first 6 months of 2019. Government figures also show that most households could save £200 every year if they switched to the best deal for their needs. Some households could even save as much as £300. That’s enough for a pretty awesome night out for you and your friends and you could earn it in just ten minutes.
One of the best reasons for switching is the savings you could make. But there’s more too:
- Some suppliers offer special deals like cashback and free goodies.
- There are many suppliers that offer cleaner fuel options that make them more sustainable. You could help the planet by switching to them.
- Some suppliers will give you a smart meter to help you keep track of your usage.
How to switch
The process of switching energy suppliers in London is easy and very fast. There are a number of comparison sites available to make the process easy and utility companies are expected by the government to make switching trouble-free for their customers. If they fail to do so, they can be fined. The switching process tends to go like this:
- Log into a comparison site and enter your details – your address, your current cost of energy (if you have it) and a few other details like what appliances you have and how often you take a shower (!). You’ll also be asked about the type of deal you want such as online only, dual fuel or sustainable.
- You will be given a list of options. You simply choose the best for your needs based on criteria like cost, how the account is operated, if you need to read your own meter and the mix of fuel sources that they use.
- Simply click on your choice and you will be taken to their site. You might need to add a few more details.
- Now just wait. The suppliers will take care of the rest and within around 10 days you will have switched. You also have the right to back out if you have changed your mind.
Switching is easy and in London there are many utility suppliers to choose from, so you’ll have access to some great deals. London might be cold in the winter – but at least you know you can turn on the heating without it costing a fortune.